Monday, November 16, 2009

A Lesson Well Learned

The past 2 weeks, I learned a very valuable lesson in life. It's a lesson that one would rather not go through but it's just unavoidable. This lesson - I have made it the word of the year for me as it is very significant to what my life has become. The word ladies and gentleman, isn't something alien or new but rather, has been pushed aside by so many that the importance of it is lost. TRUST! That's my word for the year. This is what I learned about TRUST and what I think it's all about:

1. Letting others know your feelings, emotions and reactions, and having the confidence in them to respect you and to not take advantage of you.

2. Sharing your inner feelings and thoughts with others with the belief that they will not spread them indiscriminately.

3. Placing confidence in others so that they will be supportive and reinforcing of you, even if you let down your mask and show your weaknesses.

4. Assuming that others will not intentionally hurt or abuse you if you should make an error or a mistake.
The inner sense of acceptance you have of others with whom you are able to share secrets, knowing they are safe.

5. The sense that things are fine; that nothing can disrupt the bond between you and the other.

6. The ability to let others into your life so that you and they can create a relationship built on an understanding of mutual respect, caring and concern to assist one another in growing and maturing independently.

7. The glue or cement of relationships that allows you to need others to fulfill yourself.

8. Opening yourself up to let others in on your background, problems, concerns and mistakes with the assurance that they will not ostracize you because of these things.

9. The act of placing yourself in the vulnerable position of relying on others to treat you in a fair, open and honest way.

I'm sure that I'm pretty close to the truth of trust. The question arises again - "So what did I do?"
I've lived a life where risks are part of it because, the biggest risk in life is taking no risk at all.
I don't live in my past but rather, leverage on my past to make the future better.
I've realised my faults from my past and pledged to never make them again in the future.
I've had my guard up before for fear of being hurt but only to realise that a well guarded person leads a lonely life inside. You end up guarding yourself only to hurt yourself in the long run.
Trust is important - very important but it cannot be built overnight. It takes time. But the essence is to give yourself the chance to live life and believe in something.
Trust in GOD! Trust in us! More importantly, trust the one's you love coz they are the only one's would will love you unconditionally!

No comments: